The room was open at 9:30 for coffee, visiting and setting up for the Ying Liu demo and the Julia Patterson Workshop.
Margaret started the meeting at 10:00 with comments on Master Calendar Events.
The paint-in at Joslyn Center on 1/7 was successful and the next one is 2/4. Fran Nichols critiques were welcome and will continue.
Next paint-out, with Vickie Sekits hosting, is 2/18, 9am at El Porto Beach.
Margaret suggested checking our website for calendar updates and said we are still working on getting the newsletter up on the website.
There are a number of workshops coming up so get involved.
- Bernard talked about his “Happy” Still Life workshop or his Still Life “Happy” Workshop! Give it a try, contact Bernard for details.
- Carolyn Buchman will schedule a tour and draw-in at FIDM museum on a Monday in February. Contact Carolyn if you are interested.
- Dori Dewberry, 3/15 is full.
- Marla Baggetta, 4/28-30 indoor is full but some space available in her figurative 5/1-2. Contact Marj Lightle.
- Carolyn Buchman is handling the How to Draw Horses and Animal workshop in June. Contact Carolyn .
- The Desmond O’Hagen workshop is July-18-20. 2 days in 1 day out. Margaret says this is good for basics, good for beginners.
- The Doug Dawson Workshop is November 6-8. Landscape. Sign up in March with a deposit.
Our Annual Members Exhibition Prospectus is now available. It can be downloaded from the PSSC website.
Mike Ishikawa talked briefly about framing and sizes of paintings. All this info is in the prospectus. Registration is due at the March general Meeting. Once again it will be at the Manhattan Beach Creative Arts Center, 1560 MB Blvd., MB. Take-in is 4/24 at 10:00 am, Reception is May 3 at 6-9pm. Sign-up to help at the show at the March meeting.
Members Showing Work: Wandamae showed her Fall Vineyards, Sue K showed the Dordogne River. Karen Latrell, The Bowl of Cherries, Mike showed the Old Airstream and Patty a healing portrait of her lovely mother.
Margaret talked about Destination: Art. This new group is working to establish a non-profit Artists’ Studios/Gallery in the South Bay and is supported by PSSC. Most of the Directors are also on the PSSC Board. This is our sister organization working to create our “clubhouse” so your help would be appreciated.
Ying Liu’s portrait demo held our interest with member Bob Barrett as model and Julia Patterson’s Social Media Workshop in the afternoon left us buzzing with loads of info.
Next General Meeting: March 8, 2014-
Zamperini Field, Torrance Airport Meeting Room, 3301 Airport Dr., Torrance, CA9050
Notes by Catherine Cunningham