"Take the Next Step!"
President Lynn, opened the meeting with a hello to new members and visiting guests. This was our second meeting at our lovely new location, the Riviera United Methodist Church. It's so much more roomy and pleasant than our old location. Lots of room to handle our growing membership.
Lynn then went on to do a round up of all the upcoming events, exhibitions and PSSC news. Here are some of the highlights.
- Malaga Cove - September 20-21, 2014
- Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair - October 4-5, 2014
- PSSC Member Exhibition - March 2015
- Held at the South Bay Lexus Center
- Take-in -March 14th after the general meeting
- Reception March 28th, 1-4 pm
- Demo by Richard Mckinley at 10:00 am
- Exhibition will run through May 2015!
- Rejoice in Art at Riviera UMC - October 17, 2015
- Morgan Kari presented the meeting demo followed by a mini-workshop for those who signed up.
- How to Draw Horses and Animals - 1 day workshop - September 27, 2014
- Doug Dawson Studio Landscape Workshop - November 6-8, 2014
- Richard McKinley - March 21-28, 2015
Show and Tell
Some members did a show and tell of their latest work!
Morgan Kari presented the demo at this meeting. She shared some of her wonderfully creative under-painting techniques for pastel. For instance, do you need to create some interesting underlying textures for a doggy portrait? No problem, save the hair from Rover's latest grooming session and use it to press patterns onto your paper!
She also spoke about using crumpled plastic and watercolor to create subtle abstract textures for your pastel backgrounds, as well as gold-leaf, casein paint and metallic powders for interesting and surprising effects.
--Thanks to Gayle for the pictures!